Saturday, May 10, 2014

Petticoat for 18-inch Doll

petticoat for 18-inch doll by nest full of eggs
  {18-inch doll skirt week :: day 2}

Today it's a petticoat, slip, or skirt made out of eyelet trim.

Supplies needed:

  • 12 inches of 3.5 - 5 3/8 inch wide eyelet trim at $3.79-$5.49 per yard, 12 inches will only cost $1.26-$1.83
nest full of eggs
When I got home from the store I noticed that 2 of the pieces were 12 inches and 2 of the pieces were 13 inches. With doll clothes an inch can make a big difference, so I sewed them up a bit differently...

 For the two pieces that were 12 inches, starting at 2 inches from the top I sewed a .25 inch seam down to the bottom of the skirt (backstitching at start and end). I ironed the seam open, then topstitched around the opening.
nest full of eggs

nest full of eggs
 Then I attached Velcro mini fasteners, 3/8 inch dots (self-adhesive circles), with a package of 56 costing $3.49, that's only $.06 each.
nest full of eggs
 The other 2 pieces were 13 inches long, so for these first I ironed .25 inches to the wrong side.
nest full of eggs
I then topstitched them.
nest full of eggs
 Lastly, I sewed a wide Velcro (5/8 inched wide) strip down almost all of the length of the skirt.
nest full of eggs

petticoat for 18-inch doll by nest full of eggs
See you later for day 3 of 18-inch doll skirt week :)

Quick round-up of all my 18-inch doll creations: