Friday, April 19, 2013

Little Black Tunic and Blue Pants

 Here we are at Week 3 of the Sew Off. Thank you for supporting my Pencil and Paper Bedding Set last week. I am excited to share this week's look with you! I turned on my sewing machine and made something for moi! A little black tunic with on seam pockets worn over blue sailor pants. Go vote until Sunday night for YOUR favorites, everyone is allowed to vote 1 time for their 2 favorites.






 For the little black tunic I started with the Schoolhouse Tunic pattern, woman's size 2/4. I shortened the sleeves and made them narrower, dropped the waist (and made the tunic A-line), eliminated all the pleats, and added on seam pockets (using the Oliver+S Book Report Dress pocket pattern). It was made with black cotton, 1.5 yards with very little left over. Before I redrafted the Schoolhouse Tunic pattern, I sewed myself a muslin to see how much to shorten the sleeves, etc.
 For the blue pants I used a basic pants pattern NEWLOOK 6171 girl's size 14 and turned them into sailor pants. The idea and some tips for the pants came from the August/September 2012 issue of SewNEWS magazine tutorial of how to take a simple pants pattern and create a pair of classic sailor pants. The pants are made with dark blue chambray, at least that's what I believe it is, it was sold in the denim section of a large fabric outlet and was unlabeled.

I love this modern look, really love the pockets and how slimming black is!

Have a great weekend!

PS Do you know of any good woman's sewing patterns that come in size 2? They are really difficult to come by, let me know in the comments if you do, thanks in advance!