Season 6 of Project Run and Play is here and for week 1 the challenge is to remix The Party Dress (size 18-month through size 5), a free pattern and tutorial by The Cottage Home. Looking for inspiration? Well, I did a bit of research and have a ton of ideas (many with links) to share with you...
This is a perfect pattern to play around with and have fun with...
- color blocking
- sew together your own fabric (with piecing) then cut out the dress pattern pieces out of your new fabric
- change the front neckline to a square neckline
- make the back a v-neck back
- instead of a gathered skirt make it an a-line skirt, circle skirt, lengthen the skirt to floor length
- turn it into a princess dress
- turn it into a costume/dress-up dress
- add a collar and sleeves
- sew the bodice section using sequin fabric
- thick stripes
- move the skirt band up and add bows around it
- 3 layer bubble skirt in ombre
- change the front bodice to be a faux wrap style and have a big bow tied in the front instead of the back
- add pleats on the bottom of the skirt
- put in pleats instead of gathering the skirt
- embellish with anything (ribbon, beads, trims, rickrack, lace, pompom trim, etc)
- add piping along the neckline and arm holes
- find some super wide ribbon to use in place of the pattern's original skirt band and attach it to the bottom of the skirt like a French seam as done in the Lazy Days Skirt (free tutorial by Oliver + S)
- polka dots
- and if you can get your hands on some super fancy specialty fabric
I'm excited to see how you remix it and can't wait to show you what I ended up creating… Happy Monday, see you tomorrow.