Saturday, September 6, 2014

Leon Shorts

Leon shorts by nest full of eggs
 I’ve been wanting this sewing pattern forever and finally got it this past month. It’s only available as a paper pattern and it’s shipped from France and I guess maybe that's why I was so hesitant to get it right away. I sure hope things change in the future and that more digital patterns are offered from international pattern companies.

Project details
Pattern: Papillon et Mandarine Leon Shorts (sizes 2-10 years) paper pattern in English or en francais.
Size: 6
Fabric: 5/8 yard Interweave Chambray in Khaki by Robert Kaufman from Hawthorne Threads was used for everything: the main fabric, the lining, and all the fabric covered buttons, and very little fabric was left over.
Notions: 1/2 and 5/8 inch fabric covered buttons and a couple of plastic buttons and buttonhole elastic for the back waistband.
Leon shorts by nest full of eggs
 There was the option of hand stitching or topstitching certain parts and I started out hand stitching, but then quickly switched to topstitching. Who has time for so much hand stitching? On future pairs I will do all topstitching (that is a guarantee) and there will be several future pairs thanks to the major cute factor! Who can resist these sailor style bloomer shorts all gathered and puffy? And all the adorable little buttons? And they have pockets which are always a big hit.

Being a European (French) pattern the seam allowances are 1 cm (= 3/8 inch) which is smaller than what I’m used to working with which is 1/2 inch. So next time around I make the seam allowances on the leg cuffs to be 1/2 inch because 3/8 inch is just too small and fiddly to work with on a smaller detail like that.  
Leon shorts by nest full of eggs
So now C has another pair of khaki shorts for school uniform bottoms (back in July for KCW I sewed up a pair of Clever Charlotte Finch Shorts). I’m so pleased with the final result and the perfect fit! Now I'm off to make the next pair of Leon shorts…