Thursday, October 27, 2011

hemming jeans

 see the problem in the above photo ?  the pant legs on this pair of jeans are way too long...
 so I folded them up to where I wanted them to be...
 a lot needed to be taken up.  I came across this fabulous tutorial on how to hem jeans which keeps the preexisting hem intact. can you believe it's a blog post from 6 years ago !?!  in blog land that's ancient history, but don't worry, it's an oldie, but goodie :)
 so it said to measure how much length you'd like to have taken off & divide it by 2.  take that new measurement, pin around, & sew right next to the preexisting hem using a zipper foot (btw, right after I took the above photo the sewing needle broke ~ ugh!)
 good advice was given to only do one leg at a time, the first pant leg turned out perfect, so then I did the second one...
 next I added some peel n stick fabric fuse because I didn't want the excess fabric hanging out.

 I ironed it to adhere the excess material to the inside of the jeans.
 amazing results !  AND now I will never hesitate in the future to buy jeans that are too long.